Monday, May 7, 2012

The Zugspitz with Susan and Steve



Our recent trip to Munich included a fabulous day excursion to Germany's highest alpine peak, the Zugspitz. The day was GLORIOUS! Of course, the people selling cable car tickets thought I was totally nuts since I was wearing flip flops ... but it didn't stop me (and wasn't a problem at all ... it's not like I was going skiing after all!) From the summit, we rode the smaller cable car down onto the glacier where skiers were EVERYWHERE! This video captures this ride.

Some of the skiers were dressed in traditional dirndls. Others were sun tanning in provided chairs. There is also a train that departs from the bottom and climbs via cogs. This train also arrived in the same glacier station to which we were riding. Steve and I went down the mountain on the train.

In the video I mention that "Austria was closed". Well, the boarder between the two countries runs right through the top of the Zugspitz. The Austrian side of the summit hadn't been completely shoveled out from recent snowfall ... hence, it was "closed".

Thank you goes to my sister Wanda who drove us to the Zugspitz. Our group consisted of Wanda, her husband Reinhard, my parents, Steve and me. My mother went up and down on the train. Wanda and my Dad went up on the train and down on the cable car. Steve and I went up on the cable car and down on the train. Reinhard only went by cable car. It was a blast no matter how you rode!

3 comments:

SONYASPHERE said...

Nice!

SONYASPHERE said...

Nice!

Wanda said...

ha ha ha I love when Steve says...'you're such a goob' ha ha ha Neat video!!! Funny narraration!!! h aha Goob